This is a village that is a three mile hike through the jungle and a canoe ride across a big river. Kristen and I had always wanted to go there and visit, but were never able to make it there. This past summer I had the chance to go and visit with some of the interns. It was a beautiful experience. Not only was the getting there really fun, but getting to see the homes of some of the school children (yes, they come all that way for school everyday) was a blessing. When we arrived there was a crowd of people waiting for us on the other side of the river. They took us to the nursery school where there were at least 50 children waiting for us. All I can say is that I wish my students could wait as patiently as these students were waiting. They then gave us a very impressive presentation of Bible verses, nursery rhymes, and songs. I was so impressed by the school and the work that the teachers had done with these nursery students. I took some video on my camera, but can't figure out how to post it. Its real cute though so you can ask me if you want to see it.
While I was watching this, there was one little girl who really stuck out to me as I observed the program. She is probably 6 years old, but was such a leader. Her name is Moiatu. She had a way of guiding and leading the other students that amazed me for someone so young. She is so smart. She had memorized a whole speech on why children have the right to be educated and presented it in front of everyone. As I watched her I felt very drawn to her. Well, after the program was over, she walked up to me, hit me on the arm and said that she wanted me to be her friend. Settled! I was then able to spend the rest of the day walking around with her and getting to talk to her. I am now sponsoring her and I am excited to see where God takes her and how he uses her. She is an amazing little girl.
My favorite memory of the whole day is when I was walking with Moiatu and a large crowd of children to go and visit the old school building, Moiatu decided to begin chanting my name Aunty Sarah as we walked. So all of the other children joined in chanting Aunty Sarah, Aunty Sarah, Aunty Sarah..... When then started dancing the rest of the way to the school. I happen to have learned a few of the traditional Mende dance so I was able to break those out for the kids which created a large scene and lots of laughter. Mostly at me trying to dance!
In both the pictures, Moiatu is the one standing right next to me. It was difficult to get a picture of just the two of us because the mob of children would get really excited anytime they saw the camera.
1 comment:
Sarah,
Thank you for sharing all of this with us. I can feel you coming alive there just by reading your words.
What beautiful people.
Nicole
Post a Comment