Wednesday, April 23, 2008

I have rediscovered my love for reading, because I actually have time to read. I have been reading a lot of different books about poverty and injustice, and culturally appropriate ministry. In every single book that I have been reading this Chinese proverb has been in the book. It has caused me to stop and think and it because if it is listed in so many different books, there must be something true and valid about this statement.

Go to the people
Live among them
Learn from them
Love them
Start with what they know
Build on what they have
But of the best leaders
When their work is finished
Their task is done
The people will remark
We have done it ourselves.

So how do I do this living in Denver? This is where the Lord has called me so what people here in Denver does he want me to go to? I want to do this, I want to go and live among them, and love them, and learn from them, but who, and where?

4 comments:

Julie said...

Sarah,

You are already doing it. Each child in your class is going to end the year proud of their accomplishments and all that they have learned (or at least their parents will recognize it)...but it was you who took what they had and built upon it, loving them along the way.

Kim said...

Yeah! Sounds perfect. I really want to go like that first Saturday morning or afternoon. I know it'll be CRAZY, but I can't help it. I'd go tomorrow if they let me. Hahaha. You you're all grown up when you 1) ask for practical birthday/Christmas gifts and 2) you can't wait to buy teaching materials. :)

Nicole said...

so... read that exact proverb last night... in Submerge (I just started it.) Still processing, but would love to talk with you about its ideas, especially this summer.

Megan said...

i really like that. yeah for chinese proverbs!!! and china!!!