I talk to my class about Sierra Leone all the time. They all know where the continent of Africa is and that I lived there and they can tell you stories about my kids there. A couple days ago I showed them a slide show of pictures. They noticed that in the pictures that a lot of kids weren't wearing shoes. That got us talking about why they don't have shoes and talking about how sometimes they don't have food to eat. My students were really sad to hear that.
Today, one of my boys walks in and hands me an envelope. He says that it is for the children in Africa. I open it and inside is 4 dollars in quarters. I asked him if this was his allowance money and he told me that it is the money that he has been saving for a long time, but that he wants to give it to the children in Africa.
That gives me hope. His simple gift means so much because he gave all that he had without thinking about what he would be missing. I have a lot to learn from him.
Friday, November 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
oh my gosh-almost crying right now-how sweet...what a gift you've given these children in expanding their world view-good job, sarah.
geez, get me all choked up! i agree, God is using you to help the children in africa by expanding the hearts of the children in the us.
Post a Comment