Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Real Thoughts

I have been in quite the reflective mood lately. I have enjoyed trying to capture my thoughts in writing this past week, so I though that I’d take advantage of this and post several different blogs on my reflections. I hope you enjoy them.

How is it that it is so easy to forget the hurting world that is next door, down the street, and in the next town over? I live in a suburb of Freetown and spend most of my time at the orphanage or at my house and am not faced with the poverty that is so prevalent in down town Freetown. Yesterday we went into town do some Christmas shopping and I was reminded of that poverty. The whole day I felt guilt. Every time I would pull out 10, 15, 20 thousand Leones, I felt like I could be doing so much more with this money. How can you justify spending money on things like Christmas presents, when there are so many who go hungry and don’t have proper housing? And when I see a beggar, I don’t give, yet I feel guilty. Why is it that I don’t give, when I have spent so much on things that don’t matter? Why do I feel guilty, and is my guilt really what I should let drive my actions? I wish that instead of feeling guilt for not giving to every beggar that I could feel compassion and love for those beggars. That when I look into the eyes of a beggar that I would look and sees what Jesus sees, instead of turning my head, pretending that he is not there. Yes, that is what needs to drive my actions; love not guilt, compassion not pity. That’s what I will pray for, for a heart of compassion to deeply love. A heart of compassion is what will show these people the love of Jesus. The money doesn’t matter. Jesus is not concerned if I give them 1000 Leones or 10000 Leones. What would please him is if I loved that beggar, like he loves them. Jesus said that when we feed the least of these, it is like we are doing it unto him. Those are powerful words, words that I want to stick in my mind so that I can have a new focus, not only when I go into Freetown, but as I live my life in Marjay Town as well.

No comments: