Saturday, December 09, 2006

Christmas is coming

It doesn’t really look or feel like Christmas is coming, but the festivities are starting Sierra Leone style. I am excited to be here and celebrate Christmas with the children, but I do miss some of the American Christmas traditions. Right now we are in the Hamatan season, which is their cold season. While one morning I did wear a long sleeve shirt, it is definitely not feel cold to us. It is so funny to see all the children coming to school bundled up in their winter coats, sweaters, and hats. The school is full of Christmas decorations and in the afternoon we practice singing Christmas carols for the school Christmas party. !
All of the children from the home are excitedly telling us about all the different traditions they do for Christmas. Our house is lacking Christmas decorations although I think we are going to get a palm tree to decorate

We have been having small groups of children over to make ornaments for their Christmas tree. After they are done making their ornaments I read them one of my favourite Christmas stories, The Crippled Lamb, by Max Lucado. We talk about how special it is that Jesus was born on Christmas day. I think that this year, that I will in a new way experience what the birth of Christ truly means. That he came to redeem a whole creation that is in need of a Savior.

1 comment:

em said...

hi sweet sarah...what an experience to celebrate Christmas with a culture so different than your own...i miss you...wish you were coming home but I am also so excited for you to have this unique time.LOVE YOU.