The other day, Kristen and I invited four of the girls over to help us make butterscotch. Who knew that it would turn out to be one of my favorite memories! Let me try and capture the evening for you. It was dark and the generator wasn’t working and so we had to use candlelight. All six of us were sitting on our veranda crowded around a tiny little kerosene burner. Patrica, a girl who is quite assertive and independent, was the one who was trying to teach us. The other three girls eagerly watched and waited for the opportunity to taste this yummy sweet. Patrica, very impatiently told us that our stove was not working properly and it was taking too long. Finally, it was done and we began to roll them into balls. We had butter smeared all over our hands and were too impatient to wait for it to cool so we kept burning our hands, but that didn’t stop us. Massah and Isatu, faithfully rolled the candy into little balls, while Fatu would roll one and pop it into her mouth and look to see if anyone had noticed and then burst out into laughter. She then would lick her fingers and do it all over again, causing all of us to laugh at her. The girls were in such a giggly mood and couldn’t stop laughing, which caused Kristen and I to laugh. Patrica then began to do impression of all the COTN staff, which sent us all into uncontrollable laughter. After the evening was over, I realized that it has been a long time since I had laughed so hard, and it definitely was what I was in need of.
Side note: reading back over this I realized that I didn’t do a very good job of describing how perfect and fun the evening was. Guess it is one of those you have to be there moments, but it is definitely one of those moments that I will remember for all times.
(Check back for a picture)
Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment