





Christmas was different this year, yet still a very special time. Having all the normal Christmas traditions taken away, I was really reminded of the reason why we celebrate Christmas. We had two small boys, David and Brima, from Banta that came and stayed with us. They definitely made the Christmas festivities fun. Christmas was a really busy day so I am going to give you run down on Christmas Eve and Christmas day. (I was going to do it by a time table, but then I remembered that I now function on Sierra Leone time, and time tables don't exist, neither does the concept of time!)
Christmas Eve:
• Went to church, where we learned about Santa Clause (I’m serious).
• Took Brima and David to the beach. They had never seen the ocean before. It was so fun to see their reactions.
• Came home and made tacos. We had real cheese, and chips and salsa. Then snacked on all the yummy Christmas goodies that people sent us (Thank you!)
• Read the Christmas story in Krio and then put the boys to bed.
• We then read the Christmas story in English and the book, The Night Before Christmas by candlelight.
• We each opened one present and sang Christmas carols.
Christmas Day:
• Woke up early, even before the boys. This is a normal Christmas morning activity for me.
• Made pancakes with the help of three small children. Luckily there was only one small burn, which was my own hand.
• Opened presents. Kristen and I had made stocking for everyone. The boys were so excited about their presents. Thank you mom for the wonderful stockings!
• Drank Starbucks coffee…yes real coffee… so exciting!
• Went over to the home to bring all the children their presents. The girls were all dressed in beautiful, frilly dresses, while all the boys looked like little gangsters in their jean outfits.
• Had a service for over 100 children from the community. We were able to tell them the Christmas story, provide a meal, and give each child a toy.
• I was able to talk to several friends and family members, which was really special.
Boxing Day:
• Went with all 90 children to the beach. What an experience that was!
No comments:
Post a Comment