Monday, November 27, 2006

Thanksgiving day


Thanksgiving was celebrated in a different way this year. We started the day off at the beach with Mama Angie and her family. Her family is hilarious and has just accepted us as part of their family. And the laying in hammocks on the beach is a nice way to start the day. We then went to the American Embassy and had turkey and pumpkin pie!!! It was weird because it was a whole different group of people then I am used to hanging out with, and it made me realize that there is a whole other mission field among the white people in Sierra Leone. It made me realize that having turkey and pumpkin pie is not what Thanksgiving is about. It is about spending time with those that you love and really reflecting on the things that we are thankful for. I haven’t ever really stopped to think about the fact that Thanksgiving is a time that we can thank the Lord for the work that he has done in our lives. This Thanksgiving, being away from family, I really realized the things that I am thankful for, and the things that are important in life. But it was a good day and I still am thankful for pumpkin pie! Here are Kristen and I with cranberries (our contribution to the dinner).

1 comment:

Taylor and Joanna said...

This Thanksgiving....I thanked the Lord for you Sarah! I am so thankful for a friend who is living out her life for a cause bigger than herself. You are an example to us all! And how do you manage to live in Africa and always look so beautiful in all your pictures!

We are still working on that vacation to Sierra Leone.