Sunday, July 18, 2010

Time for the Team to Leave

Tomorrow is the last day that my teacher team will be in Banta. We leave bright and early Sunday morning to head back to Freetown where we will spend a day at the beach having some time to debrief our experiences here in Sierra Leone. I can’t believe that the team is getting ready to leave. So much time and energy was spent in order to get the team here, and the time went by so fast. It has been a good couple of weeks. The children have really been learning in summer school, and it has been so exciting to see how they are learning their letter sounds, which is something that I would love to continue to see implemented in the school. I have spent so much time emphasizing the importance of letter sounds and to see the children learning the sounds is really exciting to me.

After the teacher team leaves, I will spend a couple days in Freetown visiting some friends, and then a team of 16 people comes from Florida, and I am helping to facilitate for this team.

Today I went down to Ngolala which is the village that I call my village here in Sierra Leone. I sat on Aunty Batu’s porch in a hammock with two different kids on my lap singing songs with kids, greeting different women who came up to say hi, playing with Baby Sarah (side note: she is not a baby any more. She is getting so big, and she is super naughty. She’s the cutest thing ever, and she knows she is cute, so she tries to get away with everything). These small moments of getting to spend time with people are the moments that I so appreciate about being here.

4 comments:

Rose Starr said...

Great update! I cannot believe it's been 2 weeks already! Glad you'll have some time on the beach :)

I have to agree with being excited about the kids learning their letter sounds! AWESOME!!!! Phonics is the key!

Praying for you. God is good. Miss ya!
~Rose

Julie said...

Greet everyone for me! Aahh...makes me miss it so much to read your blog, but in a good way. I love picturing you there. And yay for letter sounds!!

Nicole said...

I hope you're singing to them :) Can't believe it's already time for the team to leave. Have fun on the beach!

Amy said...

ahhh...it's like I was there just yesterday reading your blog. I remember baby Sarah! How old is she now...3?