Friday, July 23, 2010

Things I Love about Sierra Leone

I thought I would take advantage of a "real" Internet connection and write another blog entry. Soon I will be going back to the land of slow Internet in Banta!

Things I love about Sierra Leone:

Everywhere I go I run into people whom I know. I love that it is a small country and that connections here mean everything. I got my visa extended today for free...why? Because we know someone. As different as it may seem, that is just how things work here.

Cars break down here all the time. Today a car broke down in front of us while we were driving. A bunch of random strangers jumped up from where they were sitting and pushed the car to the side of the road. They help each other out. They take care of each other, even if they don't necessarily know each other.

Sitting and waiting is common. I love just sitting down and talking to people. At times the waiting definitely does get to me, but today as I waited for people to finish up errands, I sat at a Lebanese woman's shop whom I have known for four years, and we just talked. She fed me juice and Snickers and told me how to make yummy Lebanese food. There is time for people here and I so appreciate that.

5 comments:

Candace said...

You're making me miss SL. Wish I could come visit soon. :( Maybe once this lil boy is old enough to stay w/ his grandparents for a week or two we can entertain the thought of a trip!

Kristen said...

Yeah, for Auntie Rema! Tell her hi for me! Please!

Jennifer Haber said...

Hi Sarah
I actually found a piece of paper with your blogspot address. Yea!

I am so proud of you. You are a remarkable woman. You are wise and creative. I love reading about your thoughts, your travels, your joys, and even the difficulties.

I praise GOD for you and I love you.

Jennifer Haber said...

Oh, and I also figured out how to get your updates.

Technology is a young wo(man's) game.

Love

amber said...

hey sarah! i've been catching up on emails & blogs since we arrived back home late last night (or is it this morning???). anyway, thanks for everything you did for the florida team! i feel so blessed to know you and pray for your time in sierra leone. chat with you soon... amber