Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Where to begin?

I don't even know how to begin sharing with you everything that happened while in Sierra Leone. So many stories, so many memories, so many thoughts.

Last night, we got together as a team and had a time of sharing with friends and family. We all went around and shared our high and low of the trip. And since I don't know where to start, I will share that with you.

High: Most of the trip was one big high for me. I love that I can walk into the middle of a village and be known. I love that I know these kids and have known them for 3 years now. There were so many highs. Most of them were those moments of just sitting with people and being able to talk and catch up on life with them.

Low: We helped grade exams while we were there and this was very sad and hard for me. We were grading math exams for a teacher and the average grade was 12%. The highest grade was 50%. And the hardest part was that the teacher did not see anything wrong with that. None of the students passed and it was blamed on the students not trying hard enough, when really the teacher needs to re-examine their way of teaching.

Being in the schools was good and encouraging, but also really hard to see that these kids can not read or do basic math. More to come on our time in the schools.

1 comment:

Julie said...

It makes me start turning over the questions again - where to start? What is effective? What causes real change? What is just our viewpoint that we think is better? I bet you are wrestling with these all over again! Keep wrestling....