Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I'm back

It is amazing to me that in less then 24 hours I can be in Sierra Leone and then all of a sudden I am back in America. I don't think that I really prepared myself that I was coming back to America, so when I touched down in New York, I felt very overwhelmed. Overwhelmed by all the people, by all the choices (I had a little bit of a breakdown in the food court trying to decide what to eat for dinner. I had to stay away from dairy since I haven't had it in two months, which makes the decisions difficult).
The flight was easy. No problems, minus being a little bit tired. My friend Aunty Chris in Sierra Leone gave me a beautiful gift. She had connections to the manager of the Lungi hotel by the airport, so they gave me a room to sleep in for free. Which means that I was able to sleep for a few hours and take a hot shower before boarding the plane. I appreciated a few hours of sleep so much. 
So, I am back in the land of running water, electricity, Starbucks, drinkable water from the faucet, and lots of white people. 
The next couple of days will be spent packing, unpacking, visiting friends, and having a JBU reunion. School starts on Monday. 

2 comments:

em said...

wow! what a whirlwind but i'm glad you got some good rest before the trip back. praying for you, friend!

kerri said...

sarah, i'm so excited to see you again and listen to all of your stories. good news, i'm doing enrichment. so now we'll see one another often. i'll be at a few trainings too. i changed my number since you've been gone 7202573827. i hope you are unwinding alright, and doing well.
-kerri