Saturday, January 13, 2007

Information overload

Information in our brains is organized into schemas. When new information enters our brain it is put into one of those existing schemas. (Thanks to all my professors for teaching me this). However, being here I am finding that so many things I see or experience don't have a schema to fit into. Instead, I just have all this information floating in my brain, trying to find a place to fit. Slowly my brain is beginning to form an African schema, but the information is still all jumbled up.
This may see like really random information, but the reason that these thoughts have come to me is yesterday I saw a demon possessed man. We were at a church in Freetown and we saw this man that was locked away in a prison that was yelling and cursing at everyone who walked by. He was very violent and was trying to break down the doors of this prison. As I was being told that this man was demon possessed and had been brought to this church for deliverance, my brain was on information overload. I have read stories in the Bible and heard stories about demon possession, but was always a little skeptical about it. But here in front of my own eyes I saw a man who was demon possessed. My brain didn't want to believe it, but I know that it is true. In the midst of my confusion and overwhelming thoughts, the Lord reminded me that he is powerful, more powerful then the forces that are at work in that man. It is also a good reminder to continue in prayer that the Lord’s glory would fill this country.
So…. my brain is still searching for a place to put this information, but until it finds a place to settle, I will just have to continue to wrestle with and pray about these issues that I am confronted with.

No comments: