Monday, November 01, 2010

Five-Year Celebration!

Its been a while since I have updated my blog. My time spent here has been so busy and full of so many different thoughts that I am not even sure how to begin summarizing everything that happens. Each day feels like several days because of all that happens in a day. I have to admit that I am feeling tired and a little bit weary. I also haven't been very successful when I have sat down to write and haven't been satisfied with my blog. But instead of trying to make my words sound eloquent, I'll just write the random thoughts that come to mind.

As far as tasks that I am working on, our international president is coming soon, so there is much preparation that needs to take place for his arrival. COTN also is planning a five-year celebration of the work that has been done in this chiefdom where we are working. It's been really neat as we have been talking through this as I realize that I have been a part of this for four of the five years that we have been here. It's been a good reminder that change has happened here and change will continue to happen.

The president of Sierra Leone is coming to this celebration, so it is turning into quite the event, which means a lot of work for all the staff. My involvement at the school has been a bit less because of trying to help fill in all the gaps to help make this program a success. A fun task that I was given was to help wrap all the Christmas present for the kids. There is a woman back in America who the children all call Grandma. Every year she send presents for the children for Christmas. So me and my little elves have been getting into the Christmas spirit wrapping up all the gifts.

As far as emotionally, here's an update. Overall, I am okay. I have hard days and hard moments. I think that being here by myself has been harder then I imagined it would be. I miss having someone to bounce ideas off of, someone who understands why certain things are hard. I find that the days where I spend too much time at the office working are the days that are harder because I don't get to spend time with the people and the children—and they are the real reason why I am here. I don't want to get too caught up in all the work that has to be done that I forget about the relationships.

Another good part of my day today is that one of my friends just had her baby. And she is so precious. I got to hold the baby for a while. I have to take time to relish the small moments or else I will be discouraged if I focus on the work and how much has to be done.

So, there's my thoughts for this Friday evening. I am off to make a cup of hot cocoa. Its a bit chilly here tonight. You know . . . in the 80's :) And blanket donations upon my arrival to America will be much appreciated!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Sarah. You should definitely come to MT for a visit after you get back to the US. Of course, you may want to wait until after March...no need to freeze yourself. :)