Thursday, December 11, 2008

Kindergarten Fun!

Some funny stories from Kindergarten the past week:

We have been learning about the continents and we gave our students an assessment to see if they could tell us the names of the continents. Almost every child at least knew the continent of Africa! Yeah! I am teaching them something. They may not be able to read, but they can tell you where Africa is on a map.

We have a penny jar in our classroom to raise money for different projects. I have been blown away by the generosity of my students. They have already raised $60 for a orphanage in Kenya (Ah-gay-pay Mercy Children's Center. Check out www.amcckenya.org). And for the holiday time, we have been raising money for Water for Christmas and tehy have alrady raised $25 dollars. I am so encouraged by how much they want to give. I had a little boy who had to get two teeth pulled out, and he told him mom that they money that the tooth fairy gave him that he wanted to give it to help the children get clean water. No wonder Jesus told us to have a child-like faith. They get it. They get that we have a lot and that other kids don't.

Recess is one of my favorite times of the day because when else does one get to run around the playground and act like they are 5 again? I get to and it is great. My kids come up with the most creative . My favorite was last week, when they decided we were going to go to Africa and all the boys turned into lions and chased us around the playground for 30 minutes. Great fun!

I love my students, even though some days they drive me crazy. It has been great seeing how much they have learned and grown throughout the year.

I also am excited that it is almost Christmas break! When I think about trying to find another job, I think about losing my wonderful holidays, and it makes me think twice about if I want another career. I love my long break.

This next week is going to be crazy with report cards due, testing, and holiday parties.
Well, there's an update on the life of a Kindergarten teacher.

1 comment:

Allison said...

We can learn so much from little kids sometimes-- humbling! I love the fact that your kids all know about Africa!