Wednesday, June 18, 2008

It's Good to Be Back in Banta!

Last year, there was this little girl named Mariama, who would always find us the moment we walked in to the village. Somehow she knew when we were there. She stuck by our side and would cry when we left.

On Sunday during church, I was standing up during praise time, and I felt a little tug on my dress. I looked behind me, and there she was—Mariama smiling up at me, ready for me to hold her. What a great welcome back to Banta!

After a public transportation ride, we arrived in Banta with such excitement. The ride was quick and easy . . . no breakdowns, and they have begun paving the road. (This is exciting! The government really is taking steps to improve the country.) This was the quickest Kristen and I have ever made it to Banta.

It is so good to be back here and to see all the familiar places. I like Freetown, but Banta is where I left my heart. Joy overflows my heart as I sit and visit with those who were part of my life last year. There are so many positive changes in this place. The children's home has moved up here to Banta. It is funny seeing the two sets of children mixed together. There are many new buildings and new programs. The Lord is working in this place, and it is encouraging to see.

We are living in one of the children's homes. All eight of us are packed like sardines in a tiny room. We have all been getting along, which is amazing considering our close quarters. The Lord is working in the lives and hearts of the teachers that have come. He is a good God who is faithful.

1 comment:

Rose Starr said...

Great updates :) So glad to hear how you are doing and I look forward to keeping up with you this summer. Praying for ya!
~Rose