Thursday, June 12, 2008

I am here!

I am here in Sierra Leone! It has been so great to be back. Currently, I am siting at my friend's house, using her wireless internet. Crazy! No hot sticky internet cafe where the internet doesn't work. It is a blessing. Another change is that at our house in Marjay Town we have 24 hour electricty (unless we have a tropical storm like our first night here!). Still no running water though. We use the good old, cup and bucket method! This is amazing, because most times in Freetown, we didn't have electricity and if we did, it was from our generator. Not from National Power. We only had National Power three times, and now we have it everyday. The changes in this country are enouraging to see with the new change of government. The streets are clean, there isn't trash everywhere. People seem to be in better spirits. Happier about their new government.

I am so happy to be back. I can't even begin to express the feeling of stepping off the airplane and being back on Sierra Leone soil. I love this place and I didn't realize how much of my heart was still here an how often I thought of this place. I love it that everything about this place is normal. I remember when I first landed in Sierra Leone and felt completly overwhelmed by everything. This time my Krio came back right away and it just felt normal to be in the airport. It is so great to see familiar things, to smell, to hear familiar things. I love it. I love being back.

I think that the year away was good for me. It helped me to be able to look on mu experience with a fresh new perspective. I think that I have a healthier, more postive outlook on life here and the challenges that the teachers face. A year of teaching also gave me a lot more grace for the teachers. Last year there were times when I was really hard on the teachers, but after being a teacher I understand those weeks of not wanting to lesson plan, or really to teach.

The teacher team is doing a great job. They have great in-services and are jumping in and helping out with the students and interacting with the teachers. It is so encouraging to see the in-services that they have planned, and how the teachers are responding to them. Continue to pray for the teachers for clear communication with the teachers and for tender soft hearts.

It has been so great catching up with old friends, hearing Aunty Sarah be shouted from the children on the streets, and to be able to practice my Krio. We travel to Banta on Saturday and I can't wait to be there. I can't wait to see all the kids, to see people in the village, to see Baby Sarah....

So basically I love this place and I love being here.

I'll try to post at least once a week. Lets see if any pictures will post for you to see of the team.

No. No pictures. Even though it is wireless, it still isn't fast. I'll try again when we get to the mines in Banta.

2 comments:

em said...

SO glad to hear from you! excited everything feel so right in your heart!! love you and soak it up every moment, girl...

amanda said...

Oh, it brings a smile to my face to hear how happy you are! I love how much you love Sierra Leone. :)And praise God for the opportunity you have to be there again, and to share that love with your friends and co-workers. Thinking of your time there and praying for you often!