Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Moments

I have now been home from Sierra Leone for almost six months. It is crazy to think how fast the time has gone by. For the most part, I have adjusted back to life in America, but there are still those moments; moments where I feel like I am back in Sierra Leone. Moments where I can't remember how to sing Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star the American way, only the Sierra Leone way. Moments where I drift back and feel like I am sitting talking with Aunty Batu holding Baby Sarah, or where I am sitting on the veranda having the girls braid my hair. Moments where I forget to turn on a light switch when I walk into the room. Moments when Krio is the first thing that pops into my head. Moments where I forget that I can use water from the tap to brush my teeth. Almost every moment when I wish that I could step outside my door and find a whole community of people who share life together and are a part of each others lives. I treasure those moments. They allow me a small glance back at my life in Sierra Leone and remind me of the lessons learned, the joys shared, and the struggles overcome (or not overcome!)

1 comment:

Hannah said...

I am so touched by your memories and stories of Sierra Leone. My husband and i have been back in america now for 18 months since our year in Kenya. So much of what you talk about, i also treasure in my own heart, and i also struggle with returning home to the life i've always lived, when my life has since been forever changed. How do you live with an african heart in an american world? well, continue to press on and hold dear to those precious days in africa. i will too! - hannah