Monday, November 06, 2006

Back to Freetown

Our time in Banta is over for this term, and both Kristen and I were very sad to leave. We made deep connections with the people there, and it was sad to say goodbye to them. In February, we are hoping to go back for two months, but we are trying to figure out a way to go back sooner.

The day before we left we had a farewell service at the school. The school children brought us so many gifts. We had 61 grapefruit, tons of sugar cane, pumpkin, coconuts, papyas, and corn. It was humbling to see how extremly generous they are with the little that they have. Brima, one of our little boys, told us that he would let us leave this time, but only if we promised that the next time we come back we won't ever leave again. I was tempted to promise him that.

Life in Freetown is different. It is a much busier pace, and there is not as much time to spend sitting and talking with people. Kristen and I want to take some time to refocus on what exactly our mission is here in Freetown and how we want to carry that out. Please pray that we would be able to be creative and to listen to the Holy Spirit so that we can make the most of our time in Freetown.

2 comments:

amanda said...

Sarah! I have been thinking a lot about you these past few days (as I have been reading a lot about Sierra Leone and the use of child soldiers for a paper I am writing) I thought to send you a facebook message, but then saw that you have a blog! It is so neat to hear all that you are experiencing and learning, and how you are seeing God work. I cannot imagine the stories you have heard or the extent of pain you have seen. Yet, how sweet it is to read about your experiences of great worship and joy with the children, and the encouragement that where there is life, there is hope. I look forward to hearing more about how God is working in and through you. Thanks for your beautiful posts, wish I could be there with you, the children look precious!

Amanda Shelton

Joe Eisenhuer said...

Sarah,
This may be a little suprising, but it's your cousin Joe . I was over at mema, and bepa's house today and they were telling me and my wife about the work that you are doing over there. I think it is amazing that you have the courage to travel to another country and teach to underprivileged children. It is very inspiring.
I also heard that you are sick. I hope you get better quickly, so you may continue your work. Well, thats about it, just wanted to tell you good luck, take care of your self, and Happy Thanksgiving.
Bye