Saturday, October 21, 2006

Hope in the Midst of Frustrations

Well, as I sit here trying to think of what to write, I keep trying to think of ways that I can shed a positive light on this week. But to be completly honest, this was a frustrating week. I've been frustrated with the teachers, the children and myself. Frustrated that I see so many injustices and that I don't know how to help. Frustrated that no matter how many times or in how many different ways we teach, the teachers don't see a need to change their teaching practices. Frustrated that I don't know how to discipline the children. Frustrated that the children don't listen to us. Frustrated that certain people only see us as a way to receive money or supplies. Frustrated that these children are trying so hard to learn, but that their teachers don't know how to help them, so the children continue to fall further and further behind. And most of all frustrated with myself for allowing myself to be so frustrated!

I think that living here in Banta, we have been thrown into the true culture of Sierra Leone and are faced with how different life is. Don't get me wrong, I still really do love this place and love learning about the differences. But along the way certain frustrations will arise. It's learning how to overcome those frustrations that make it possible to live successfully in another culture. Realizing that change doesn't come overnight and that it will take much time to change the things that are bad or evil in this soceity. And most important, I must rememebr that the Lord has something for me to learn in the midst of all this. He sees all my frustrations, but He is bigger than those frustrations.

A woman here was talking to me about the war and what she said will forever be in my heart. After telling us the horrible things she experienced, she said, "Where there is life, there is Hope." What simple yet proufound and beautiful words! And that is what I must cling to: the hope that is found in our Savior Jesus Christ. Romans 15:13 says, "May the God of all hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." You can be praying that we would bring our frustrations to the Lord and continue to find the true hope that only comes from Him.

No comments: