Thursday, September 07, 2006

Why????

This week I have really been hit by all the pain and suffering in this world. As I get to know the people here better, I also get to know their stories. It’s so hard for me to understand why. Why is it that I have a safe and comfortable life, while others have undergone more pain than I can ever imagine? Why is that there is a home full of children with no parents who have witnessed and experienced so many atrocities of war? Why do I have plenty of food to eat and my next door neighbor’s children are malnourished? Why is it that so many of the girls at the home have been sexually abused and that it is a normal occurrence that the girls in Sierra Leone face?

In midst of all these questions, my prayer has been: Father, I don’t understand all the hurt in this world. I know that You are good and that You use all things for good. But I don’t understand why it has to be this way or why there is so much injustice in this world? The only thing that I know is that God is good. He is not just good when things are going fine, but He is also good in the midst of pain and hurting. The Lord asks that we trust Him at all time even when we don’t understand or our questions are left unanswered. I know that this is true, but even still sometimes in my mind, I begin to doubt. But it doesn’t matter if I believe or if I don’t. The truth still is that God is good all the time.

Proverbs 3:5-6: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.
Isaiah 40:28: ”He will not grow tired or weary and his understanding no one can fathom.”
Psalms 119:68: “You are good and what you do is good.”
Isaiah 55:8-9: “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my way, declares the Lord.”

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Sarah - I just wanted to leave some verses that helped me when I was/am asking those questions -
2 Cor 4:16-18
Acts 17:24-26
Isaiah 11:4a
Psalm 10:14, 13:5-6
Isaiah 61:2-3
Rev 21:4
Habakkuk 1:2,5,18,19A
Psalm 146:6-9
Psalm 9:18

I'm praying for you!