Friday, September 01, 2006

A normal day

The title is kind of ironic because really there is no such thing as a normal day. There is always something unexpected that happens, which is becoming what we consider to be normal. I want to tell you about this past Sunday because it is characteristic of our time. The day started as it always does with my alarm going off earlier than I would like, having my morning cup of team and getting ready for the day. We attended a new church, dressed in our fine African dresses (Micah- it was Pastor Ziezer’s church). We got home from church and noticed that we had national power and running water. We were so surprised because we hadn’t had either for quite some time. I kept forgetting that Icould actually turn a faucet on and water would come out. Kristen and I then went down to the home to play with the children. The girls are decided that we needed to have a Krio lesson. We spent the next hour stumbling through words with the girls laughing and enjoying our feeble attempts. We then heard that there was a soccer (football) game down at the neighborhood field, so we went down with the older girls to watch. The whole community had shown up to watch and for the first time I felt like we were actually part of the community. We are beginning to get to know people and spent the rest of the day talking with the women, playing with the children and cheering for our team. As I was walking home, I had Fatuanna on my back, Massah and Sallay on either side of me and more children walking behind me. As we walked, we watched the beautiful sunset over the ocean. As Kristen and I were walking back into our house we said that this had been the perfect day.
Well….with the joy of running water also came a flood because one of the water nozzles hadn’t been properly turned off. We walked into the bathroom and there was at least 2 inches of water on the floor. Thank God for uneven floors because the water hadn’t spread to the rest of the house. We got the water cleaned up and then attempted to cook macaroni over a kerosene fire. As we were sitting down to eat we noticed that maggots were all over our kitchen table. Gross!!!! We were so tired from our days adventures that we crawled into bed, tucked in our mosquito nets and fell asleep. Despite everything that happened, it was still the perfect day.

No comments: