Monday, July 24, 2006

The Airport Experience!

It is crazy to think that three weeks ago I left to come to Sierra Leone. At the Kansas City airport I had to say goodbye to my wonderful parents and 25 of my dearest friends. It was a tearful goodbye, but I am thankful that those I care about were there.

I then arrived in Chicago and said goodbye to two more friends. I felt so sad and alone, but the Lord had plans to show me His abundant love. I was supposed to meet Kristen, my teammate, in Brussels, so I was going to have to make the long flight by myself, which I wasn't excited about. As I was walking toward my gate, I saw someone who looked familiar--it was Kristen! Her flight had been rerouted to Chicago. It was so great to see her. The Lord was reminding me that He will provide for my emotional needs.

After two long flights we finally arrived in Freetown, Sierra Leone. We stepped off the plane expecting to see someone waiting for us, but no one was there, so we kept waiting. After 20 minutes we were able to make a call and figured out that there had been confusion on when our plane was coming in, so no one was coming to the airport. Instead, we had to take a helicopter to a place where someone would pick us up. Needless to say, it was an overwhelming experience, but we survived. When we got to the helipad, we saw a man holding a Children of the Nations sign, and all our fears were calmed.

Sorry that I have not made any posts. We were not allowed to have Internet access for the first month, so I was not able to post. I actually am getting to do this a week early, which is such a blessing. I will be writing more about my experiences here, so check back soon. Tomorrow, I am heading out to be a camp counselor at a camp for 200 African children. I am excited, but keep us in your prayers that we would have strength to make it through the week and that the Lord would draw children to himself this week.

1 comment:

Taylor and Joanna said...

We miss you! We are definitely praying for you (everytime we see the bracelet and more). Have fun playing with two hundred beautiful african children. We Love YOU Sarah!

Joanna and Taylor Sprague