Monday, June 26, 2006

Saying goodye

As I am preparing to leave, I have realized something.... that I hate saying goodbye. My days have been full of saying goodbye to dear friends and family. I know that I am only leaving for a year, but in my mind a year seems like a long time. Most of the people that I am saying goodbye to, I know that I will see again. So I think the thing that makes goodbyes so hard, is that I know that I am saying goodbye to a season of life. Life is going to be different when I return. I will be different, my friends will be different.. the carefree days of college, staying up until 2:00 in the morning talking with friends, will be replaced with jobs, marriages, and responsiblities. I think that is what makes goodbyes so hard.

Yet, I am thankful that I have people in my life that saying goodbye to is hard. I feel so blessed to have so many that are supporting me as I prepare for this next adventure in life.

I am also thankful that God has chosen me to go to Sierra Leone. A missionary who had been held captive for a year spoke at my church. During that captivity her husband was killed. As I was listening to her testimony, one thing she said really stuck out to me. She said that she kept asking God why he left the weak one and took the strong one. When she said this, I understood what she meant. Somedays I question why God is sending me. I don't understand why he chose me, the unprepared, unexperienced teacher.

The missionary then answered her own question: It was so that the power of the Lord could be displayed through her life. My heart felt comforted at that thought. Yes, I am weak, but it is the Lord who is going to be working in and through me this next year. As much as I would like to think that this trip is all about me, it isn't. Therefore, I want this to be a place where the Lord's faithfulness and glory is displayed. My role this next year is a teacher, but I want to go into this year with a teachable spirit. I want to be humble enough to make mistakes and to be okay with that. I want to learn about the people and the culture of Sierra Leone. From the children, I want to learn a child-like faith. Most importantly, I want to learn more about the character of the great God that is my strength in spite of my weakness.

So thank you to everyone of you, who is supporting me and praying for me. I hope that this is a place where you can be encouraged and see the Lord's faithfulness.

1 comment:

Joy and Mark said...

Sarah,
Just wanted you to know how wonderful it was to see you at the wedding on Saturday.
We're praying for you!
Joy and Mark