Monday, January 23, 2012

Nursery Classroom!

Two posts from me in one day...

In Sierra Leone, we have run out of classroom space. We have grown so quickly with the number of students and the grades we are offering that we are in need of more classroom space.

We were donated money to buy a hydro-form block machine, which is basically this construction equipment that builds blocks using mostly dirt with a little concrete and something else (not a construction person here). The blocks fit together without having to use concrete so it is a relatively low cost building.
We had a construction consultant in Sierra Leone while I was there these past six months and alongside a team of Sierra Leoneans, he helped the construction of a guesthouse for teams and interns, as well as a two block classroom for the nursery students.

The building was almost finished when I left Sierra Leone in October, but I didn't get to see the kids inside the classroom. My favorite part was the chalkboard that was cemented onto the wall. The reason it is my favorite part is because it went low enough to the floor that the children could reach it and write on the chalkboard. It's also a nice sized room with plenty of small for all the small ones.
Our Sierra Leone Liaison is back in Sierra Leone and he just sent me these pictures of the nursery class being used, so I had to post them.

2 comments:

amber said...

LOVE seeing these pics! thanks for sharing...

Candace said...

Love this! I remember you talking about this... so neat to see the buildings!