Thursday, February 17, 2011

Sierra Leone

Sierra Leone has been on my mind a lot. There are times where that world feels so distant from me, like it was ages ago that I was there. Then there are times where I feel like I just left yesterday, the memories are so fresh and so real in my mind. But behind every thought, and every action, Sierra Leone is there. The people and my time there have deeply changed my life. My life is intertwined with them, they are a part of who I am. Its strange to think about, and don't have sorted out thoughts, but I am grateful. Grateful that God has allowed my life to take this path.

I've been sorting through my pictures from my time in Sierra Leone and smiling as I think about my family that is there. So many stories, so let me share a few.
The kids in our Freetown school playing after school. We have a new headmaster of this school and I am so encouraged by what I see and the positive changes that he has made.
Kids doing an interactive lesson at school. This is at Mokpangumba, the village across the river. I love this school and love the dedication of our teachers there. Good things are happening. The school is on the right of this picture and all the students are actively engaged in a lesson about math. Love it!
This was the house that I lived in while I was in Sierra Leone. Grace house... perfect name. I have a lot to learn about Grace. And I love this picture because these little ones were always there, and they are the reason why I love being in Sierra Leone.
Fatu- Have known this girl for so long and love her so much. She breaks my heart as well, as she lives with a family that is not her own, and is not taken care of my this family. One day I was in the village talking with her and told her that I loved her, and she started crying. Don't think that she has heard that very often and it is the desire of her heart to be loved, just as we all have that desire. And thats why I go. To love the dear ones like her.
And to end on a bit of a funny note. Remember my infestation of cockroaches, and how much I despised them... we'll this was my team of cockroach killers. They would help me take everything out of the house and spray down for cockroaches. Very thankful for these boys!

5 comments:

Julie said...

Love reading about your life in Sierra Leone! Thanks for sharing Sarah!

Julie said...

The cockroach killer picture just cracks me up. :)

Suz said...

I love these pictures! Especially the last one- so great. Thanks for sharing about your adjustment back too... are you back for a long time? Or do you hope to return?

Kristen said...

I can't believe how much Fatu has grown up. I've got to get back there soon!

Candace said...

I love feeling connected to SL through you. Thank you for sharing your experiences w/ us and keeping Salone alive in our hearts! I really hope and pray me and Ryan (Braddock too hopefully) can go back there some day. I'd love to meet these little ones!