Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Holidays

All of the COTN children who live in our orphanage are in the process of going home for holidays to visit their relatives so that they can get to know their extended family. This is a time of mixed emotions for the children. Many of them are excited to get to know their families and get to return to their villages or cities, but they are also are scared and uncertain of what this will be like for them. Many of them are returning to homes where they will not be provided for like they are at COTN. COTN has made sure that they will all be safe and would not put them in a dangerous situation, but many of them came from extreme poverty and will be returning back to that. Please join us in praying for our children that they would be a light to their families and that they would be able to establish good relationships with family members.

There are a few children, currently 20 of them, who have not had family members come to collect them for holidays. These children are struggling with feelings of rejection and feeling left out that they have not had a place to go. We are trying to make arrangements of places for them to visit so that they are still able to go and enjoy their holiday.

In the meantime, I have very much enjoyed my time with them. When there is such a small number, it is much easier to get to know them all and spend quality time with them. I have been trying to spoil them a little bit to make them feel better about still being here. From the moment I arrived on Saturday, they have been inside my house. We have played games, made several different crafts, eaten sweets, and read stories. They also have helped me in this adventure of de-cockroaching my house. They are so willing to help out.

Getting to be back here and spend so much quality time with these children makes me so glad that I am still here. When teams are here, it is much harder to spend time with the Sierra Leoneans because my first priority is the team. It has been so good to be able to spend time with these children who I love so dearly. I love that I am able to continue to be a part of their lives and to see them grow up. What a blessing it is that the Lord has given me! I know that these next five months will go by so fast, and it will be January before I know it. I want to treasure each of these moments that I have with this family of mine here.

No comments: