Saturday, June 23, 2007

One adventure is over, another one yet to come

Last night Kristen and I had our goodbye party with everyone here in Freetown. It was a fun night full of song and dance contributions from our children. I left with a heart overflowing with joy at the time that we have spent here and all the amazing people that I have gotten to know.
When I woke up this morning however, my heart felt heavy and sad. Today is our last day in Marjay Town. This evening we are leaving to go to debriefing and then we leave straight from debriefing to the airport.
My last night in our house was a wonderful way to leave. Aunty Chris, her daughter Maria, and Pastor Sorie all came over after the goodbye party and we sat around talking for hours about nothing in particular. It felt like family, just sitting and enjoying each others company. I could not have imagine a better way to spend the evening.
Some of the children from the discipleship group came to Freetown for our farwell service. They came over this morning for breakfast and we just talked about life and what it means to follow Jesus.
Right now, my heart feels so heavy, and the tears keep coming to my eyes, but I can't cry because I am at the internet cafe. I just can't believe that it really is time to go.
Later today we have to go and say goodbye to all our children at the home. I know that it is going ot be difficult, so if you think about me please pray for us and for the children.
We are trying to to wrap up all those last minute things and repack our bags because we were given so many gifts last night. I know that my life will forever be changed as a result of the people in this country. Goodbyes are never easy and it will be an adjustment to return to the states. I know that at times I may be cranky and sad, and miss Sierra Leone, and be frustrated with the way that things work in America. But I also know that I will look back with fond memories of this place.
Someone once told me that once you leave Africa, the real adventure starts as you try and figure out how to combine the two worlds that you now know exist. I think that is so true. The Lord has continually been faithful while I ahve been here in Sierra Leone, and I know that he will continue to be faithful as I adjust back to life in America.
So I am heading back to America on Monay and will arrive in Colorado on Tuesday. So this is my last blog posting from Sierra Leone. One adventure is coming to a close, but another one is staring.

2 comments:

Kari said...

Sarah-
I know we can't fully understand all that you have seen and experienced during your time there, but thank you for giving us a glimpse of how God is working through amazing people such as yourself and Kristen. You have been an inspiration to me as well as everyone who has shared in your journey through this blog.
Have a safe trip back to Colorado!

em said...

blessings on your departure!!! you have been such a gift to those people and to us back home...LOVE YOU. can't wait to give you a hug!