Wednesday, June 27, 2007

I'm back safe

I made it home safe and very tired. I had two longs days of travelling including a ride in a hovercraft to the Sierra Leone airport, then a flight to the Ivory Coast, then to Brussels, then to Chicago, and finally after a seven hour layover I made it to Denver. I was welcomed by my parents, and several friends. It was good to see everyone and to begin sharing all the stories of Sierra Leone.
As I unpacked my bags today, memories came flooding through my mind as I explained to my mom the story of each thing I brought back. I have found myself wanting to talk Krio and Mende, so I'll talk to my dog in Krio because he doesn't care if he understands what I am saying. Driving was a bit wierd today as I had flashbacks to what driving in Sierra Leone was like. Sorry for anyone who made ride with me these first few weeks back.
There have been so many things that I had had to stop and think twice about. When I was plugging in the curling iron, I was looking all over for an adaptor, and then relized I didn't need one. I'll walk into a room and forget that I can turn a lightswitch on. In fact, as was writing that last sentence I realized that I am sitting in the dark!!!
Somethings will take time to get used to again, but I am also a bit surprised at how somethings just come back and seem normal again, things like using a washing machine and taking a hot shower.

2 comments:

em said...

WELCOME HOME!

Nicole said...

I love you! Welcome back! I am praying for you!