Monday, July 30, 2012

Washington vs. Colorado

Anyone who has talked to me would not be surprised that I do not love the weather in Washington. Seriously though, it is July and its only 60 degrees. I should not have to wear wool sock in July. There are actually a lot of things in Washington that maybe aren't ideal.

These things were making me think about a move back to Colorado and working remotely for Children of the Nations from Colorado. But, I have decided to stay put for now. As much as I want to be in Colorado, I just don't feel that it is where I am suppose to be right now. And I realized that I need to have an attitude readjustment about Washington. Even if I don't love it here, there are a lot of things to be thankful for.

I talk to my children in Sierra Leone quite often about how they need to be grateful and thankful for the blessings that they now have. Because just like us, they like to complain and grumble about all the things they don't have. But then I realized that I have that same exact attitude.

So now, I am trying to have a better attitude about my life in Washington. Trying to focus on the positives instead of the things I don't like. Like the fact that I love where I live. The Spoon family is just wonderful. I couldn't ask for a better home away from home. And the fact that my dear sister, Kristen, who I lived in Sierra Leone with for that year, is close by and I actually get to see her (she used to be in Alaska, a little long of a commute). And there are a lot of beautiful places to go explore, and my friend Jason from college moved not too far away and will go explore those places with me. I have a beautiful drive to work, along the water. There really are so many blessings that I overlook because I am spending all my time thinking about how great Colorado is.

So.... I'm going to try really hard not to complain about how cold I am, but really, those sarcastic comments about how Washington people just don't understand what a wonderful thing the sun is, are just really hard to resist!!!

2 comments:

Julie said...

I don't love the heat like you do, but I do love me some clear blue skies. Even on the east side of Washington, it was a bit too cloudy and drizzly for me. :) So I hear ya on that. But at the same time...this is your one and only life so focusing on the positive is a great attitude to take. :)

Susan said...

You can always move to kansas! It is in the 90s or 100s everyday, plus humidity. You'd probably feel like you were back in SL! I think it's a really good idea.