Thursday, March 17, 2011

Visitors from Sierra Leone

I have been slacking a bit on the blogging and have so much to share about life in Washington, and more kids to tell you about.

But, life all of a sudden got really busy because we have 2 visitors from Sierra Leone. Susan Ibrahim, who is a girl from our children's home, and Kaddie Kobba who is one of the teachers in our junior secondary school.
A large church here in Silverdale has committed to getting 5000 children sponsored this year through 5 different organizations. In order to start off this campaign they flew Susan out here so that she could surprise her sponsor at a big meeting held called the State of the Church. Susan's sponsors came up to speak about what it meant to them that they were able to sponsor a child. They were then told they had a surprise waiting for them. Susan had made a video of her life in Sierra Leone, and they showed this video to her sponsors. Her sponsors were so excited to see the video. Then the Pastor asked them, "What would you do if you could meet your sponsored child?" And at that moment, Susan walked out onto stage. It was a joyous moment for all.

Here is the video that Susan made for her sponsors.


Its been really exciting to see the awareness that this has created about the importance of sponsorship. Already we have gotten around 45 new kids sponsored just in one weeks time.

Its been so fun to have Susan and Kaddie here and to get to show them the hospitality that they always show me when I am in Sierra Leone. I've been taking them to all their speaking engagements, which has been so great to get to spend so much time with them.

Here's the link to the article about Susan in the local newspaper here.
http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/mar/11/sierra-leone-teen-surprises-poulsbo-sponsor-with/

The church has also created a website with more information about their feed the 5000 campaign if you want to see it.
www.feedthe5000.org

God is working and good stuff is happening.

2 comments:

Julie said...

Kristen and I just watched the video! :) That is awesome! We all (including Sydney) greet them. :)

Anonymous said...

I am so excited that I get to see Kaddie and Susan in just a few days :)