Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Prayers

Before I left one of my friends gave me a journal where she had written down different quotes and Bible verses (thanks again Deitra!). The quote for yesterdays page was the Prayer of Saint Francis of Assisi

"Lord make us instruments of your peace
Where there is hatred let us sow love;
Where their is injury, pardon;
Where there is discord, union;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where their is despair, hope;
Where their is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.
Grant that we may not so much seek to be consoled as to console;
to be understood and to understand;
to be loved as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
And it is in dying that we are born to eternal life."


As I read this prayer, I was in a bad mood and was convicted of the attitude that I have been having lately. I wish that these words could be the words that my heart truly prayed, but as I thought about it I realized that lately my prayer as sounded more like this...

"Lord I want my own way. I want everything to be comfortable. I want people to make me feel important and special . I wanted to be loved instead of loving other. I want other to see things my way because my way is the only right way. I don't want my own plans to fall through. It doesn't matter what your plans are O Lord, because mine are better."

Oh Father forgive me for my selfish thoughts and for not loving others the way that I should.

1 comment:

em said...

sarah dear, how much you've had to bear in the last 9 months...your honesty is convicting because my heart prays the same way sometimes. i love you and am so proud of the difference you're making in that little corner of the world where God is so present. i miss you, friend.