Monday, December 03, 2012

Snake stories


I don’t like snakes at all. Spiders, no problem, but a snake . . . definitely afraid of them. I have been blessed that in a place that has lots of snakes, I have only ever seen one, until this past year. So let me tell you my snake stories of this year.

Story #1: I ate snake! And it was delicious. Now a dead snake, I don’t mind. Our center supervisor brought us a snake that he bought from someone in the village. He gave us some, and to be polite I tried it, not expecting to like it. But it was good. I really did enjoy it. It had a lot more meat on it than I thought it would, and it was a really good flavor. So now I can say I ate snake!

Story #2: The next story is not so nice. One night I was sitting in our parlour, with our construction consultant, Dave. The generator wasn’t working, so we were sitting in the dark with our headlamps on. All of a sudden I hear Dave yell snake and jump up. I froze in fear. Next thing I know, Dave has pinned the snake with our coffee table and is beating it on the head with my chaco. . .  all just a few feet away from my feet, which at this point I had managed to move onto the couch. I was thankful that Dave was there, because I definitely was not brave enough to do anything but sit there in fear. Definitely did not enjoy having a snake inside my house. Augh!!! 

Story #3: Our nursery students are much braver than I am. I heard a lot of commotion over at the nursery school and went to see what was going on. All of the nursery students were running in and out of their classroom yelling. I went and looked in the class and saw they had cornered a snake and were stoning the it. The students running in and out were getting stones. The snake didn’t stand a chance!




So those are my snake stories. Six years, one snake . . . two months, three snakes. I think I like the first odds much better!

No comments: