My five months in Sierra Leone are coming to a close. So much has happened in these five months . . . so many stories, so many memories, so many challenges.
While I will miss being here and I will miss my children tremendously, I am ready to come back. Ready to have some time to think and process life.
I board an airplane tomorrow evening, and I will instantly be in a different world. It always is amazing how different the two lives that I live are and how quickly I am in a completely different place. What's even more strange to me is how used to that I have become. How it's my normal.
So I leave the hot tropics where I am always surrounded by children who call me Aunty Sarah, I leave a place where there are no easy answers, a place where the joys are great and the struggles are difficult. I leave this place for the cold, beautiful mountains, where I am blessed with many wonderful friends. A place that is familiar and comfortable. A place where most people don't know my name and the children don't run up to greet me and think it's fun to touch my white hands.
Both of these places I now call home. So I leave one home for the other and am learning to be thankful for the moments I get in each of my homes.
Tuesday, October 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment