I am white. Not a big surprise to most of you, nor is it something that is thought about back home in America. But here, I notice my differences everyday, as do the nationals that I interact with. Since I am white, I am given a position of authority whether or not I deserve it. All of a sudden I am considered to be an expert in everything, even if I know nothing of the subject. I am expected to give a contribution at every meeting, every youth group service, and at church. My white skin puts me in a position of great responsibility. Every action is being watched, even at my home where I will look out the window and see the little heads of children watching me get ready for the day. My white skin also means that I have money. Everywhere I go, I feel like I am a walking dollar sign. Some people want to be my friend, so that I give them money. It is tiring always being asked give, and not knowing what are worthwile things to invest my money in. Not everyone is like this and I have met those who truly do just want to be my friend whether or not I give them money.
How do I use this position that I have been given to point others to the Lord? How do I show these people that I am a real person and that I will make mistakes? Who do I give money to, and how do I gracefull turn others down? While I do not have any answers to these questions, I have to trust the Lord that he will show me the answers to these questions.
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment